Year 3 Maths Worksheets and Teaching Resources
Year 3 is a big milestone for primary school children — it’s the start of their key stage 2 journey! Having completed key stage 1, children will have grasped the basics of mathematics and they’ll be ready to embrace more challenging lessons.
The Year 3 maths curriculum opens up a whole new world of education. As children venture into the final key stage of primary education, they’ll start to develop independent learning skills as they tackle more complex and abstract concepts.
But as children are introduced to more advanced lessons and formal methods, it becomes increasingly important to ensure children continue having fun while learning. Children who learn with a smile, rather than a frustrated frown, are more likely to engage in lessons and retain information.
Year 3 White Rose Maths Resources: Teach for Mastery
Just like White Rose Maths, we’re big believers of teaching for mastery and sparking excitement about maths, because when children, especially 7-8-year-olds, enjoy maths lessons, that’s when they engage in education and retain information long term.
So if you’re taking a White Rose Maths approach in your lessons or home-learning sessions, you’ll be pleased to hear our Year 3 maths resources are aligned with the White Rose frameworks and the small steps to progression.
Each resource is designed with a clear learning objective in mind that aligns with one of the Year 3 small steps. This makes it easy for you to find resources that are perfect for your lesson plans and just right for children’s capabilities. The only assumed knowledge is that gained during the previous White Rose steps.
To help you teach for mastery in line with the White Rose Maths curriculum, our resources also include three types of tasks — focusing on reasoning, problem-solving and fluency — to challenge children and help them develop and consolidate their skills and knowledge.
And because a huge part of White Rose Maths and teaching for mastery is making sure the whole class progresses at a similar pace, we have a huge range of differentiated resources. We differentiate by complexity, rather than topic, so if some children move through content faster than others, they can delve deeper into topics with resources that reinforce their knowledge instead of move onto the next step and get far ahead of their classmates.
You can learn more about our White Rose-style resources by checking out our Supporting White Rose Maths Hub.
Teacher-Approved Year 3 Maths Worksheets and Resources
One of the best ways to make learning enjoyable is with the right learning materials. That’s where Master the Curriculum comes in. We’re here to provide all of the resources you need to help children master the Year 3 maths curriculum and have fun while doing so.
As a team of teachers, we know that children have different learning styles, and learning resources aren’t one-size-fits-all. So we’ve created resources for all types of learners. From differentiated maths worksheets to interactive maths videos, reasoning booklets, teaching slides and vocabulary cards, you’ll find a variety of resources for children aged seven to eight on Master the Curriculum.
Year 3 Maths Curriculum: What Will Children Learn?
Maths lessons in lower key stage 2 (Year 3 and Year 4) focus on helping children develop number fluency and problem-solving abilities. They will work towards memorising all of the times tables up to and including twelve, and they’ll solve problems with simple fractions and decimal place values. Students should also be able to use and spell mathematical vocabulary correctly — in this sense, the maths and English curriculum overlap somewhat.
Throughout Year 3, children will start working towards these lower KS2 objectives by grasping concepts within seven different mathematical topics:
- Number and Place Value — Children will develop their fluency with whole numbers by learning to confidently count in steps of 4, 8, 50 and 100, compare and order numbers up to 1000 and recognise the place value of each digit in a three-digit number.
- Addition and Subtraction — Working with numbers up to three digits, children will learn to add and subtract numbers both mentally and using written methods of calculation (column addition and subtraction).
- Multiplication and Division — Children will learn and use multiplication facts for the 3, 4 and 8 times tables. They will also learn to multiply one-digit numbers by two-digit numbers. This understanding can then be applied to different problems and contexts, including measuring and scaling contexts, correspondence problems, and missing number problems.
- Fractions — Pupils will learn to count in tenths and order, add and subtract fractions with the same denominator. Equivalent fractions also work their way into the Year 3 maths curriculum — children will practice recognising these fractions, and demonstrating them with diagrams.
- Geometry — In order to develop a better understanding of shapes, children will learn to draw 2D shapes, make 3D shapes and confidently describe their properties. They will start to learn about angles, horizontal and vertical lines, and pairs of perpendicular and parallel lines.
- Measurement — Lessons on measurement will teach children to measure, compare, add and subtract not just lengths, but also mass, volume and capacity. Children will learn about perimeters and will take part in hands-on learning as they measure the perimeters of shapes. Measurement activities can also include adding and subtracting amounts of money, telling the time, and learning about seconds, minutes, days, months and years.
- Statistics — Using charts, graphs and diagrams, children will learn how to interpret and present data and answer one-step and two-step questions about the data presented.
How Our Year 3 Maths Resources Can Help
Whether you’re a teacher looking for resources to accompany your lesson plans, or a parent looking for primary maths resources for home learning, we’re here to help. Our resources cover all of the above topics within the Year 3 maths curriculum. With our teacher-approved learning materials, you can get children excited about learning, and use a variety of materials to keep education fresh and interesting for youngsters.
Here are just some of the benefits of using Master the Curriculum resources to enhance children’s learning experience.
Make Education Enjoyable
Let’s face it, little ones have a tendency to switch off if they lose interest, and if children switch off during lessons, they’re not going to learn or retain information. So our resources are designed to keep children engaged in maths lessons with fun visual elements and creative contexts.
Build Children’s Confidence in Maths
As children start to tackle more advanced mathematical concepts, they may find maths lessons more challenging. If children struggle with certain aspects of maths, their confidence can take a knock, especially if other children are progressing faster than them.
Our resources can suit different styles of learning and different abilities, so children can learn and build their confidence in maths with resources perfectly suited to their needs. They can consolidate their existing knowledge and grasp more complex concepts with the help of fun maths activities.
Although our resources are differentiated for varying abilities, we differentiate by complexity, not by number. So children will progress through objectives at the same pace, in line with the maths mastery approach. As a result, children won’t worry about being “left behind” — all children within a class can become fully confident in their abilities.
Streamline Lesson Preparation
We know how difficult and time consuming it can be finding the right resources for lessons or home learning activities. In fact, that’s why we started Master the Curriculum. Here you’ll find all of the Year 3 worksheets and resources you need in one place and with a Master the Curriculum membership, you’ll be able to quickly and easily download and print as many resources as you need.
Gain Access to Hundreds of Year 3 Maths Worksheets and Resources
Our goal is to make high-quality maths resources accessible for all teachers, parents and children, so we’ve made it as easy as possible to access our resources.
We have hundreds of resources available completely free of charge — you just need to sign up for a free account and then you can download, print or view online as many of our free resources as you like.
We also have many more premium resources, such as teaching slides, weekly lesson plans, flashcards, mini-assessments and brain teaser activities. These resources can be purchased individually, or you can sign up for one of our annual memberships.
An annual Year 3 membership will give you access to all of our free and premium Year 3 resources for just £39+VAT. Or if you’d rather access all of our primary maths resources for all year groups, you can sign up for a full access membership for just £57+VAT a year.
Browse Year 3 Resources by Topic
We’ve categorised our hundreds of Year 3 maths worksheets and resources by topic to make finding the right resources as easy as possible. Within each topic, you’ll find different types of resources, including reasoning booklets, teaching slides, vocab cards and of course our signature maths worksheets. All of these resources are aligned with the Year 3 maths curriculum, and each resource is designed to help children meet specific learning objectives.