Year 4 Maths Worksheets and Teaching Resources
Year 4 is going to bring about new mathematical challenges for children. And with the right support and resources, Year 4 maths lessons can be enjoyable as well as suitably challenging. Whether you’re a teacher of Year 4 children or a parent with a youngster in this year group, Master the Curriculum is here to help you engage your little ones in the Year 4 maths curriculum to encourage them to embrace new challenges with a smile.
Fun and Engaging Teacher-Approved Resources
We’re a team of teachers who believe that fun is at the heart of education — we’ve seen first-hand just how important it is for children to enjoy learning. Enjoyment can improve children’s engagement, concentration, and learning retention. And often, the learning resources and activities used in lessons play a big role in children’s learning experiences.
But finding the right resources — ones that not only help children learn and grasp difficult concepts, but also have fun while doing so — isn’t always easy. It can be difficult and time-consuming. So we’ve created hundreds of Year 4 maths worksheets and resources that are not only educational but also fun, engaging and easily accessible.
And with a Master the Curriculum membership, you’ll have instant access to all of the resources you need to complete your lesson plans or help children learn at home.
Year 4 Maths Curriculum: What Will Children Learn?
As children go through Year 4 of primary school, they progress through more complex maths lessons and start working towards upper key stage 2. They’ll develop a deeper understanding of the four mathematical operations — addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. At the end of the academic year, they’ll sit the online multiplication tables check — a short online test.
In addition to the four operations, the Year 4 maths curriculum will cover a variety of different mathematical concepts across seven key areas, helping children develop well-rounded mathematical understanding.
- Number and Place Value — Year 4 maths lessons on number and place value will help children develop their fluency with whole numbers. They will learn to count in steps of 6, 7, 9, 25 and 1000, round numbers to 10, 100 or 1000, count backwards into negative numbers, and recognise the place value of each digit in a four-digit number.
- Addition and Subtraction — Working with numbers up to four digits, children will learn to add and subtract numbers both using written methods of calculation (column addition and subtraction). Children will also develop their maths reasoning skills by tackling two-step problems with different contexts — they will decide for themselves how best to approach maths problems.
- Multiplication and Division — By the end of the academic year, children should have memorised their multiplication tables up to and including the 12 times table. They will also learn to multiply two-digit and three-digit numbers by single-digit numbers. At the end of the academic year, children will be tested on their understanding of multiplication tables.
- Fractions — As children progress through Year 4, they’ll learn to solve problems with more difficult fractions. They will use fractions to divide quantities, create and interpret diagrams showing families of equivalent fractions, and practice adding and subtracting fractions with the same denominator. Fractions lessons will also help children count in hundredths, round decimals up and down, and divide by 10 and 100.
- Geometry — Year 4 geometry has children delve deeper into the properties of shapes. They’ll learn to recognise obtuse and acute angles, lines of symmetry and different types of triangles and quadrilaterals.
- Measurement — Children will build on their understanding of different measurements by learning to convert units of measurement, calculate the area and perimeters of shapes, and develop their understanding of time and amounts of money.
- Statistics — During statistics lessons children will develop their understanding of data presentation by creating and interpreting charts, graphs and diagrams. Using these visual representations of data, children will solve comparison, sum and difference problems.
How Our Year 4 Maths Worksheets and Resources Can Help
Our Year 4 maths worksheets and resources are fully aligned with the maths curriculum, so they can help children master all of the above maths topics. We help children grasp learning objectives, but our resources also help children develop a love of learning.
Help Children Embrace and Enjoy Challenges
With engaging maths activities in the form of visual worksheets, fun interactive maths videos, flashcards and more, challenging maths problems are made approachable and even enjoyable. The right resources can take the frustration out of maths challenges, and help children get excited about tackling new topics.
Prepare Children for the Year 4 Multiplication Test
Children in Year 4 will now sit the recently introduced multiplication tables check in June. This is an online test that will review children’s abilities to recall their times tables — a skill outlined by the UK’s Department of Education as “essential for future success in maths.” The purpose of this test is to identify pupils who might need additional support so that all children can fully grasp their multiplication tables.
By preparing children for this test, and encouraging them to do their best, you can help them consolidate their multiplication knowledge and minimise the stress of the assessment. This experience can also prepare them for future academic assessments.
With our Year 4 multiplication resources, children can build their understanding and memory of times tables. They can practice calculations with our worksheets or reasoning booklets, and even take mini-assessments at home or in the classroom.
Plan Interesting and Engaging Lessons
Planning effective and exciting lessons is a constant challenge that teachers face. But our resources are designed to make lesson preparation simpler and easier. You can use our resources to give children hands-on learning experiences and bring your lesson plans to life. We also have weekly editable teaching slides and worksheets that can help with your lesson planning.
And with all of the resources you need in one place, finding the right resources for your class has never been easier.
Gain Access to Hundreds of Year 4 Maths Worksheets and Resources
If you’re ready to start downloading and printing valuable Year 4 maths worksheets and resources, all you need to do is sign up for a Master the Curriculum account. When signing up, you’ll have three options — a free membership, a year group membership or a full access membership.
With a free membership, you’ll have access to hundreds of free maths worksheets that you can download, print or view online as many times as you like. However, you’ll need to purchase premium resources individually or upgrade your membership to unlock them all.
An annual year group membership gives you access to all of the resources from a single year group of your choice. You could become a Year 4 member for just £33 for the year!
Our best value membership, however, is our full access membership. This will grant you access to all of our resources across all primary year groups. This option is perfect for teachers or parents with children in different primary year groups. And this membership option costs only £49 per year.
Browse Year 4 Resources by Topic
Quickly find the resources you need by browsing our Year 4 maths worksheets and resources by topic. Within each topic, you’ll find a wide variety of resources, from worksheets to videos, reasoning booklets, teaching slides and more, all created for specific learning objectives.